Today, I was cleaning my apartment and I was thinking of all the things I was so glad to have with me in Egypt. I was also lamenting my ridiculous choices bringing some things I barely use when I left behind stuff I miss daily.
We shipped our household goods the first week of January. We still don't have them. Have I mentioned lately how I long for my bed? Boy howdy, I am so THRILLED we shipped it!
We brought 12 bags to Egypt. Packed to the gills.
Here is my list of stuff I am thrilled I packed:
1. My favorite, soft, snuggly couch blanket.
2. Our down comforters and soft sheets for the temporary bed we will be sleeping on until our stuff arrives. We space-bagged all our linens and put them in a duffle. It was heavy, but we got a TON into a small space. Yay!
3. The kids' bedding. It turned their dull tan rooms into home almost immediately.
4. DVD's and toys for the kiddos. We brought an entire suitcase full and after two months, they are sick of the toys, but they still play with them daily.
5. Coffee, tea, sugar packets, Pop Tarts, oatmeal packs, peanut butter, and all the staples we would need for the first evening and day in our new place. Not knowing what we could and couldn't get in Cairo, we tried to bring what we would need for a little comfort until we could get to the grocery store. Phew!
Things I wish I packed:
1. Towels. We received a welcome kit, which included towels, but nothing compares to fluffy, giant, American bath towels. I can't wait to take a shower and wrap in one of the puppies when they arrive!
2. DVD's for SuperDad and I. Holy bored! Definitely won't forget those again.
3. Battery and candle lanterns. We lose power every evening, so it would be nice to have good quality lanterns. We ordered some from Amazon, but they are taking forever.
4. Knives. You can cook if you have good knives and good cookware. I have neither.
5. My cordless phone. Not needed in my luggage, but it's like 1985 in here with these corded phones. I don't mind it until I'm talking to my Mom for an hour. I like to pace when I talk.
So, yay for Space Bags and boo for forgetting my adult DVDs. Dang it.
Here's hoping for a household goods delivery in the next week or so! We'd be the happiest McFamily on earth.
*Like this post? Click the RSS Feed button on the right and subscribe to my blog.*